He is the co-founder of Conjunctured, Austin’s original coworking community. Conjunctured supports the business+heart+cultureeco-system and holds space for a more connected and harmonious co-existence.
Latest posts by David Walker (see all)
- The Ad Agency Model Evolves, Enter #Coworking - October 15, 2015
- Grassroots community, the Kansas City Startup Village, coworks in one of Sprint’s corporate creations – in an uncorporate collaboration. - February 21, 2014
- Phoenix innovates traditional library model, integrates coworking - January 24, 2014
We’re thrilled to be hosting Code for America’s big hackathon event Saturday, February 25th, at Conjunctured! Code for America is an AMAZING initiative started with the goal of “helping governments work better for everyone with the people and the power of the web.” They’re a non-profit, non-partisan, non-political 501(c)(3) organization that is bringing together tech communities and local governments across the nation to bring about innovative problem solving.
From the KXAN article: “Last year, Code for America developers in Boston helped create an app that let parents track school bus routes in real time. The app not only provided information to parents, it also helped free up city staff who routinely handle a large number of calls about delayed school buses during winter weather events in Boston.” How cool is that?! I’m excited to see what the Austin folks come up with!
Code for America helps governments become more connected, lean, and participatory through new opportunities for public service — both inside and outside government — so we’re not only making a direct impact everyday, but also creating the relationships and network for lasting change. – “How we make a difference” Code for America
Austin is one of eight cities participating in a coordinated hackathon on February 25 called “Code Across America: A National Day of Civic Innovation.” In fact, even our mayor is a big proponent of the organization’s efforts:
“I think it would be good if Austin could work with Code for America fellows and create new applications for our community… I know Austin’s tech community will be very interested in the Fellowship program – it’s a great opportunity.” – Mayor Lee Leffingwell
The all day event at Conjunctured (on a hopefully beautiful Saturday) begins at 9:30am and will go until 7pm. It’s free to participate. If you’d like to come, here’s the info page with the RSVP sign up link:
- Code for America pushes public works for creators – Daily Texan
- Coding to make a difference in Austin – KXAN
- What Can Code for America Do for Austin? – KUT
- Could the ‘Code For America’ work in the UK? – The Guardian
- Are Millenials the key to resolving government’s woes? – Washington Post
- Names You Need To Know: Code For America – Forbes
- more Code for America press
If you have an idea for an event you’d like to host at the Conjunctured house, we’d be happy to have you! Check out our event booking page for information.